Tuesday, September 22, 2009

PressThink Blog

After reviewing the PressThink blog that was posted for us to review, I had some thoughts that I will share. On initial viewing of the homepage, I liked the sidebar information that said, "we need to keep the press from being absorbed into the media." This is the idea that I plan on directing my project for this class on. That is, whether or not the press is becoming too much like social networking sites and blogs that are not accountable for false information that is spread. While I plan on looking more at the effects of the transition to digital media, this blog seemed to be a general take on why classic journalism is important and why we need to keep it from slipping into becoming too much like entertainment.

For the most part, this blog took on the form of any basic journalism site; it has resources for journalists, how to apply for the NYU journalism school, etc. I did notice that it has not been updated in awhile. The latest post is from April of this year. Regardless of that though, I enjoyed sifting through it because it has a similar form of what I want my blog to have. It analyzes journalism and its current state in our society. I also liked the article "If Bloggers had No Ethics Blogging Would Have Failed, But it Didn't. So Let's Get a Clue." This is a particularly strong area of interest for me, whether or not bloggers are held to the same ethical standards that journalists are. In all, I enjoyed this site and liked seeing how a professional journalists has analyzed and informed the public on the field of journalism.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the site as well, and it made me think of some things relating to media and journalism that I may not have. I know that I am guilty for sometimes believing everything that I hear (or read). Sometimes I need to stop myself, and ask 'is what I just read really factual?'

    In June, the day Micheal Jackson died, I remember I had heard on the local news that he was rushed to the hospital. However, TMZ.com was stating that he was already dead. Other news sources, such as MSNBC, and CNN, still hadn't confirmed his death. Finally, after almost an hour of TMZ.com reporting that he had died, everyone else confirmed it as well. I remember thinking that day about which site I should trust, and which site would be more accurate. It just goes to show that you can't always trust what you hear, or read!

    ReplyDelete